From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] update world problem (looks like slot confusion on my part)
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2014 01:21:02
1 On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 3:39 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > The moral is always look for portage trying to downgrade packages and add
4 > the appropriate keyword entries when using this approach.
7 The only issue with this is that you never get back to stable that way.
8
9 What I usually do if I am tracking testing on a package and want to
10 get back to stable is one of two things:
11 1. Mask all versions less than what I have. Then I won't get downgraded.
12 2. Keyword all versions less than the next big release. Then I'll
13 keep getting bugfixes in ~arch but won't get promoted to the next big
14 release, and hopefully at that point stable catches up.
15
16 In general moving from testing to stable is a bit of a pain though -
17 I've never actually done it for a whole system. It is enough of a
18 pain when you get ahead on one package and want to drop back.
19
20 Rich