From: godzil <godzil@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Merging separate /usr back into / - one last time...
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2013 11:22:55
1 Le 2013-12-06 11:07, Tanstaafl wrote :
2 > And for the record (you didn't specifically say so), are you in
3 > agreement that
4 >
5 > cp -a /usr/. /usr.tmp/.
6 >
7 > will accomplish the exact same thing as the rsync command I was
8 > planning on using?
11 For me, it's best to use rsync, because rsync will not copy file if they
12 are already existing, and are the same. It's quite usefull when using a
13 copy over a network, or even locally when spurious error can occur and
14 especially when the filesystem is live and file may be modified during
15 the copy.
16
17 To copy large file tree rsync is, for me, always the best choice, and
18 I'm pretty sure that there are some cases that rsync will behave better
19 than a simple recursive cp
20
21 Cheers,
22 Godzil