From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Merging separate /usr back into / - one last time...
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2013 11:07:38
1 On 2013-12-04 8:07 AM, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 04 Dec 2013 07:28:18 Tanstaafl wrote:
3 >> I've never used the -x option with cp... what exactly is meant by 'stay
4 >> on same filesystem’?Should
5
6 > "Stay on same filesystem" is for the case in which you have another partition
7 > mounted somewhere in the tree below the current working directory. It means
8 > that you want to omit everything in that second file system. If you haven’t any
9 > such complication you don’t need to specify -x.
10
11 Ah, ok that makes perfect sense, thanks.
12
13 And for the record (you didn't specifically say so), are you in
14 agreement that
15
16 cp -a /usr/. /usr.tmp/.
17
18 will accomplish the exact same thing as the rsync command I was planning
19 on using?
20
21 >> ... I imagine I could use the cp command first on the live system to ‘prime’
22 >> it, then use the rsync command after booting to the liveCD to quickly confirm
23 >> it - but if there were no issues during the initial cp, and nothing changes
24 >> in between, there shouldn't really be any difference to copy anyway?
25
26 > Indeed. I hope you don’t have experience of cp failing to copy what it should.
27
28 Right... if it did it would most likely indicate some kind of filesystem
29 corruption...
30
31 Thanks again Peter,
32