From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Merging separate /usr back into / - one last time...
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2013 13:08:05
1 On Wednesday 04 Dec 2013 07:28:18 Tanstaafl wrote:
2
3 > I've never used the -x option with cp... what exactly is meant by 'stay
4 > on same filesystem’?Should
5
6 "Stay on same filesystem" is for the case in which you have another partition
7 mounted somewhere in the tree below the current working directory. It means
8 that you want to omit everything in that second file system. If you haven’t any
9 such complication you don’t need to specify -x.
10
11 For instance, I have separate partitions for /usr/portage and
12 /usr/portage/packages. If I wanted to cp everything in portage but not in
13 packages I’d specify -x.
14
15 > I use this seeing as current /usr is reiserfs on LVM, and / is ext3 on
16 > simple partition - ie, *not* the 'same filesystem’?
17
18 Doesn’t matter. The type of file system is not visible to the copying program:
19 to it, a file is a file is a file. Well, for present purposes anyway. I think you
20 can interpret file-system as identical to partition here.
21
22 > ... I imagine I could use the cp command first on the live system to ‘prime’
23 > it, then use the rsync command after booting to the liveCD to quickly confirm
24 > it - but if there were no issues during the initial cp, and nothing changes
25 > in between, there shouldn't really be any difference to copy anyway?
26
27 Indeed. I hope you don’t have experience of cp failing to copy what it should.
28
29 > Sorry for all the questions, I promise this will be the last one on this
30 > subject...
31
32 It’s how we learn, so don’t worry about it. :-)
35 Regards
36 Peter