From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Merging separate /usr back into / - one last time...
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2013 12:29:15
1 On 2013-12-03 8:19 AM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Current command I'll be using:
3 >
4 > rsync -avHP --numeric-ids /mnt/gentoo/oldusr/ /mnt/gentoo/usr/
5
6 I had initially been planning on just using cp, trying now to remember
7 why I decided on using rsync - I think it was someone here who said it
8 would be better.
9
10 Anyway, not to start a holy war about which is better, rsync or cp, but
11 someone on the rsync list just posted that using rsync for this was
12 really not the best use of rsync, and that cp was much better suited
13 (would be much faster for one thing, and would not suffer the same
14 potential problem of running out of memory because of too many hard
15 links for another), and I think I agree with them...
16
17 <sigh>
18
19 So, can someone confirm that this command:
20
21 cp -ax /usr/. /usr.tmp/.
22
23 would accomplish the same goal?
24
25 I've never used the -x option with cp... what exactly is meant by 'stay
26 on same filesystem'? Should I use this seeing as current /usr is
27 reiserfs on LVM, and / is ext3 on simple partition - ie, *not* the 'same
28 filesystem'?
29
30 Is the only real advantage of using rsync to do this it's ability to
31 pick up where it left off if there is a problem?
32
33 If so, then I imagine I could use the cp command first on the live
34 system to 'prime' it, then use the rsync command after booting to the
35 liveCD to quickly confirm it - but if there were no issues during the
36 initial cp, and nothing changes in between, there shouldn't really be
37 any difference to copy anyway?
38
39 Sorry for all the questions, I promise this will be the last one on this
40 subject...