From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Merging separate /usr back into / - one last time...
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2013 13:20:03
1 On 2013-12-02 5:24 PM, William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au> wrote:
2 > You are looking far too deep ....
3 >
4 > just rsync -avP to /newusr
5
6 But this would not copy the hardlinks... and there are a bunch on /usr,
7 so...
8
9 > reboot to livecd
10 > rsync again with --delete to update ... takes a only few seconds this
11 > time - minimal downtime:)
12 > mv /usr /oldusr
13 > mv /newusr /usr
14 > reboot
15 >
16 > The --numeric-ids is a good idea but I've made my systems consistent
17 > with the standard gentoo id's so that's no longer a problem.
18
19 Ok, so, last questions...
20
21 When mounting /, do I need to specify the fstype and mount option
22 showing in fstab, ie:
23
24 mount -t ext3 -o noatime /dev/sda3 /mnt/gentoo/
25
26 Then when mounting the old /usr, since it is reiserfs:
27
28 mount -t reiserfs -o noatime /dev/vg/usr /mnt/gentoo/oldusr
29
30 Last - are there any concerns about the fact that /usr is currently on a
31 reiserfs file system, moving to an ext3 filesystem?
32
33 Current command I'll be using:
34
35 rsync -avHP --numeric-ids /mnt/gentoo/oldusr/ /mnt/gentoo/usr/
36
37 Thanks again,
38
39 Charles