From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Merging separate /usr back into / - one last time...
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2013 22:25:13
1 You are looking far too deep ....
2
3 just rsync -avP to /newusr
4 reboot to livecd
5 rsync again with --delete to update ... takes a only few seconds this
6 time - minimal downtime :)
7 mv /usr /oldusr
8 mv /newusr /usr
9 reboot
10
11 The --numeric-ids is a good idea but I've made my systems consistent
12 with the standard gentoo id's so that's no longer a problem.
13
14 Ive done this many times over the years, and to the system I am writing
15 this on many times (moving to lvm2, restoring from backups after disk
16 failures, restoring from backups after user failure - rm -rf /usr !)
17
18 If you need to practice, run up a vm and test/destroy :)
19
20 You have got the disk space, so if you have a backup its reversible so
21 don't be a wimp :)
22
23 BillK