From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Merging separate /usr back into / - one last time...
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2013 21:37:11
1 On Monday 02 Dec 2013 20:40:28 Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > On 2013-12-02 2:41 PM, Thanasis <thanasis@××××××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > > That is why I recommend using the option --numeric-ids.
5 > > And using it would not hurt anyway.
6 >
7 > Right... poison pointed this out...
8 >
9 > This is why I asked for help about the arguments.
10 >
11 > I honestly don't care about superflous/unnecessary arguments, I just
12 > want to make sure I use at least the ones needed for this to work.
13 >
14 > Thanks...
15
16 The comment about --numeric-ids that Thanasis made is valid. I messed up some
17 fs of mine last time I used rsync, when I wasn't paying much attention! I
18 made a mental note to always use it in the future. On the other hand, if
19 you're not that comfortable with it, a quick trial run with a test filesystem
20 will offer some assurance that your chosen command and options will work as
21 you intended. BTW, you do not *have* to use rsync:
22
23 cp -a
24
25 will do the same.
26
27 su -
28 cd /old_usr
29 tar --one-file-system -cf . | (cd /new_usr ; tar -xvpf - )
30
31 will also do the same.
32
33 Finally, star -copy is my favourite faster alternative to copying directories,
34 inc. respecting any acl's and the like if you specify it in the options:
35
36 su -
37 star -copy <options> -C /old_usr . /new_usr
38
39 Then you can also add -diff to see if any file was not copied correctly (use
40 star diffopts=!<option> to exclude things like ctime, or you'll drown in the
41 noise of the output).
44 Speaking from experience I suggest that you do not blast your old /usr away
45 until you have booted with /usr mounted in the new location and have verified
46 that ownership and access rights are as you expected.
49 Regards,
50 Mick