From: "Jc García" <jyo.garcia@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Merging separate /usr back into / - one last time...
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2013 04:35:02
1 2013/12/2 William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
2 >
3 > You are looking far too deep ....
6 > just rsync -avP to /newusr
7
8 +1
9 I have done this more or less the same way
10 >
11 > reboot to livecd
12 >
13 > rsync again with --delete to update ... takes a only few seconds this
14 > time - minimal downtime :)
15 > mv /usr /oldusr
16 > mv /newusr /usr
17 > reboot
20 Let's make this thread more interesting, would it be possible to do
21 this without a reboot? ie: going single user mode, kill anything that
22 might still be running from usr, umount /usr, mount it to /mnt, rsync
23 -avP to usr, going again into runlevel 3 or 5.
24 Obviously not possible if running systemd.
27 > The --numeric-ids is a good idea but I've made my systems consistent
28 > with the standard gentoo id's so that's no longer a problem.
29 >
30 > Ive done this many times over the years, and to the system I am writing
31 > this on many times (moving to lvm2, restoring from backups after disk
32 > failures, restoring from backups after user failure - rm -rf /usr !)
33 >
34 > If you need to practice, run up a vm and test/destroy :)
35 >
36 > You have got the disk space, so if you have a backup its reversible so
37 > don't be a wimp :)
38 >
39 > BillK