From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Merging separate /usr back into / - one last time...
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2013 06:06:37
1 On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 10:34 PM, Jc García <jyo.garcia@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > 2013/12/2 William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
3 >>
4 >> You are looking far too deep ....
7 >> just rsync -avP to /newusr
8 >
9 > +1
10 > I have done this more or less the same way
11 >>
12 >> reboot to livecd
13 >>
14 >> rsync again with --delete to update ... takes a only few seconds this
15 >> time - minimal downtime :)
16 >> mv /usr /oldusr
17 >> mv /newusr /usr
18 >> reboot
21 > Let's make this thread more interesting, would it be possible to do
22 > this without a reboot? ie: going single user mode, kill anything that
23 > might still be running from usr, umount /usr, mount it to /mnt, rsync
24 > -avP to usr, going again into runlevel 3 or 5.
25 > Obviously not possible if running systemd.
26
27 I'm not so sure it's not possible. Perhaps it's even easier.
28
29 If you do "systemctl isolate emergency.target" then remount /
30 read/write, do the move, and then again isolate multi-user.target or
31 graphical.target, I think is possible. I will try on a virtual
32 machine; is an interesting question. You would need to use absolute
33 pathnames when actually performing the move, but I think is possible.
34
35 Regards.
36 --
37 Canek Peláez Valdés