From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] portage nfs permissions
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 20:17:23
1 On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 15:03 -0500, Chris Frederick wrote:
2 > Albert Hopkins wrote:
3 > > On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 12:03 -0500, Chris Frederick wrote:
4 [..]
5 > > Also you should disable locking on distfiles if you use it over NFS:
6 > > FEATURES=-distlocks.
9 > > -a
12 > Why would I need to disable locking? Wouldn't that stop multiple users
13 > from downloading the same package at the same time and bring up
14 > potential race conditions that can break the emerge?
15
16 In my experience at least this causes emerge to hang on NFS clients for
17 lockfiles that don't even exist on the server. Also see the man page
18 for make.conf.
19
20 Actually I don't think there will be any race conditions. IIRC portage
21 will check to see if the file already exists in distfiles, if it does it
22 will compare checksums, if it fails then the emerge fails. So worst
23 case scenario is that one or more simultaneous emerges will fail.
24
25 For my usage, the former is much more likely to happen than the latter
26 (which has yet to happen to me).
30 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list