From: Chris Frederick <cdf123@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] portage nfs permissions
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 20:03:56
1 Albert Hopkins wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 12:03 -0500, Chris Frederick wrote:
3 >> Hi all,
4 >>
5 >> I'm trying to set up the portage directory to be hosted over nfs.
6 >> Everything is working great but I would like to increase the security
7 >> a
8 >> little. I was wondering if there's an easy way to restrict 'emerge
9 >> --sync' to only work on the server, while still letting all the nfs
10 >> client machines download sources and emerge packages.
11 >
12 > Have clients only mount portage read-only and put distfiles in another
13 > fs and make it read-write.
14 >
15 > Also you should disable locking on distfiles if you use it over NFS:
16 > FEATURES=-distlocks.
19 > -a
22 Why would I need to disable locking? Wouldn't that stop multiple users
23 from downloading the same package at the same time and bring up
24 potential race conditions that can break the emerge?
25
26 Chris Frederick
27 --
28 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list