From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: CPU Temperature
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 23:33:50
1 Glenn Enright wrote:
2
3 >On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 19:57, Jamie Dobbs wrote:
6 >>I built myself an AMD64 based system a week ago using the following
7 >>components:
8 >>
9 >>Albatron K8NF4U motherboard
10 >>AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (Socket 939)
11 >>1GB DDR Memory
12 >>Albatron TC6200 video card
13 >>
14 >>Motherboard sensors indicate that the CPU core is running at a constant
15 >>65 degrees Celcius and this figure does not change more than a degree
16 >>no matter what is being done, it only increased to 66 degrees C while
17 >>doing a compile of xorg, kde and gnome which took a few hours.
18 >>
19 >>Should I be worried about these figures? The heatsink feels only
20 >>slightly warm to the touch and I am sure it is seated correctly so I
21 >>wonder if the BIOS is reporting the right temperatures. Does anyone have
22 >>the same board that can help me out here?
23 >>
24 >>Can anyone point me in the right direction to find out what the
25 >>"acceptable" temperature range for my CPU is?
26 >>
27 >>Cheers
28 >>
29 >>Jamie
33 >I'm not an expert on AMD chips but that does seem quite high. With intensive
34 >compiles I would expect to see the temp raising about 20 degrees or so,
35 >depending on your fan and sink. How are you monitoring the temp?
36 >through /proc/acpi/thermal? or just from the bios? Or are you lucky enough to
37 >have a readout on your box?
41 I also am not an expert on AMD chips, but ~65C seems acceptable for an
42 upper-level temperature to me.
43
44 Unfortunately, the AMD documentation
45 (http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_739_7203,00.html)
46 doesn't really specify what the throttle and shutdown temperatures are
47 of the processor. They just say that the case temperature should not
48 exceed 42C, and that Tcase_max is 70C. I am reading that as meaning 70C
49 is the upper design limit for the processor.
50
51 What does bother me, as Glen alluded to, is that you are not seeing a
52 drop/rise in temperature with load. That indicates that maybe your
53 kernel configuration isn't correct for the Athlon64. Double check your
54 kernel configuration, and make sure you have support for the Athlon64 in
55 your kernel. You might also try enabling "CPU Frequency scaling" with
56 the "ondemand" governor and the Athlon64 driver.
57
58 You could also post the output of dmesg.
59
60 FYI, the pentium-m in my laptop idles at around 60C, but will easily
61 reach 85C under full load. Fortunately, it doesn't throttle until 95C,
62 and doesn't shutoff until ~105C.
63
64 -Richard
68 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list