From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Rasp-Pi-4 Gentoo servers
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2020 10:42:35
1 On Friday, 28 February 2020 05:07:07 GMT james wrote:
2 > On 2/27/20 9:53 PM, Dale wrote:
3 > > james wrote:
4 > >> 5G + gentoo + embedded toys, is going to be FUN FUN FUN.
5 > >>
6 > >>
7 > >> Then I'll be off to other states, via a hacked out Redneck
8 > >> camper...... and too many microProcessors....
9 > >>
10 > >>
11 > >> Thanks Rich, your insights and comments are always most welcome.
12 > >>
13 > >>
14 > >> James
15 > >
16 > > Off topic a bit but a question.� Would one of these Rasp-Pi-4 thingys
17 > > make a NAS hard drive server?
18 >
19 > Sure, but, there may be a better solution, something all ready out there
20 > and it really depends on refining your needs, current and in the future.
21 > So lets refine your specifications (centric to your needs + growth) and
22 > figure out what and how much you need. Then we can survey the
23 > embedded-thingies, that meet your specs, with a bit of room for growth, OK?
24 >
25 > >I have a Cooler Master HAF-932 case
26 >
27 > Wow, that's big. What the number and capacity (TB) of
28 > your existing hard-drives?
29 >
30 > How much more storage do you want? Replacing drives with larger
31 > capacity, might be all you need to do?
32 >
33 > > but
34 > > even it is running out of hard drive space.� I'm thinking about building
35 > > a NAS box, taking sheet metal and bending it until it looks like a box.
36 >
37 > OK, so we first spec out options, then let you decide. Then you can
38 > 'bargain shop' for appropriate housing/rack/open chassis, etc.
39 >
40 > > Thing is, it needs a small puter to take data from the drives to the
41 > > network and vice-versa.
42 >
43 > embedded are not only small, they can have extended temperature ranges
44 > of tolerance, use drastically less power and many other features. If
45 > it's purposed hardware, that is only a few things todo, then yes
46 > embedded uP (abbrev for microProcessor) are the way to go. Running off
47 > of 12VDC, means an old car battery and a connection to your solar panels
48 > (assuming you have those) and it's zero on your electric bill. There is
49 > usually a vast array of tax and other incentives, particularly with
50 > solar in Ag businesses.
51 >
52 > > I've never even seen one of those things, except on my monitor, so I
53 > > have no idea what all they are capable of.
54 >
55 > Dale, you are pretty strong with Gentoo Linux, so putting a stripped,
56 > purposed, minimized gentoo derivative stack, with far less ebuilds, to
57 > work for your operations, is going to be quite fun. On a farm or ranch,
58 > there are a myriad of things you can do with embedded boards and
59 > gentoo-stripped. You can replace many of those expensive (vendor)
60 > systems with embedded boards +sensors +controls codes and lots of wires
61 > to do most anything. Let's focus on your NAS for now.
62 >
63 > > I figure a lot of SATA connectors and a ethernet connection
64 > > plus enough CPU power and memory to get the job done.
65 >
66 > SATA, was great years ago. Still it makes sense to use, if you already
67 > have them. Storage going forward is the process of faster and cheaper
68 > and leaving SATA behind, like ide. Still useful, but a power hog. So
69 > we'll start out with interfacing your existing SATA drives to the
70 > embedded board, and look/decide on options for newer Solid State Data
71 > storage options.
74 > � https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB
75 >
76 > You might not even need many sata ports. usb3 and the upcoming usb4 have
77 > tons of bandwidth (date/time). Mechanical Hard drives are on the way
78 > out. Too expensive and failure prone. SSd and other types of storage,
79 > might be right for you, or a mixture. USB stick memory
80 > can be huge, very low power draw and very inexpensive.
81 >
82 > A hybrid of several types of memory storage may be useful to experiment
83 > with. You may want to categorize your long term storage: some accessed
84 > often, others maybe once a year?
87 > For data storage, long term important stuff, you should employ RAID
88 > (1-10). We can get into that later, duplication of important data, via
89 > backups or extra storage is a good idea too. Backups are an old
90 > technology, but may help, but backups do can get old too and fragmented.
91 > For now, lets not worry so much about long term bit integrity, but focus
92 > on your next FUN gentoo rig. I'm hoping other join in to so you have
93 > more than my prospective on your solution.
94 >
95 > > If those things are capable of doing that fairly
96 > > easily.� After all, I'm me.� :/
97 >
98 > OK, so let's survey some system, you can just purchase
99 > with gentoo preinstalled, or a very easy pathway to embedded gentoo.
100 > Let's look at a few, have some of the other guys jump in, and find you a
101 > solution, to start with. Most will be expandable, and you can figure out
102 > the casing, mounting, power and such.
103 >
104 > At this stage, it mostly a research effort and then deciding your
105 > features/price. If you do not have massive bandwitdh requirements, I'm
106 > sure we can find you
107 > a very cost effective, DC powered solution.
108 >
109 > Just so you know, I use that fancy $300 OPtima 12vdc charger, and Optima
110 > batteries. the charger reconditions most batteries, if they are not
111 > beyond saving, even cheap lead-acid batteries. Every Farmer should have
112 > one, imho. The Digital 1200 is just awesome.
113 >
114 > https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/battery-charger
115 >
116 > If you like, you can read up on blue, red and yellow top versions and
117 > their intended duty-cycle.
118 >
119 > Take some time and look at these gentoo embedded boards, before we
120 > diverge to other offerings:
121 >
122 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Embedded_systems/ARM_hardware_list
125 > https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-4-model-b/
126 >
127 > > Just curious.
128 > > Dale
129 > >
130 > > :-)� :-)
131 >
132 > Dale, embedded gentoo is about the most fun thing you'll ever do. A
133 > hardware guy like yourself, that is already an accomplish part of the
134 > great gentoo community, dude,
135 > your going to have a lot of fun, and save money on that farm. So let's
136 > get started!
137 >
138 > Post back and I, or others, will try to answer your questions. Be
139 > specific about what you do currently and where you want to end up.
140 >
141 > Just so you know, imho, (2) of the finest humans and accomplished Gentoo
142 > devs are listed in gentoo-embedded.
143 > Actually, all the members are just totally awesome humans, so you, my
144 > friend, are in for the ride of a lifetime!
147 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Embedded
150 > https://developer.arm.com/tools-and-software/open-source-software/developer-> tools/gnu-toolchain/gnu-rm
151 >
152 > More boards to look at (the features).
153 >
154 > https://www.embeddedarm.com/products/category/single-board-computers
155 >
156 > https://freaklabs.org/chibiarduino/
157 >
158 > https://www.reddit.com/r/Gentoo/comments/7oxoln/question_about_gentoo_on_ras
159 > pberry_pi/
160
161 Since we're talking about a home NAS and since Dale's always running his PC
162 24-7, the incremental cost of hanging a few more controllers/drives off it and
163 using it as a NAS on top of its daily duties, may be the quickest/easiest/most
164 cost effective approach.