From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Rasp-Pi-4 Gentoo servers
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2020 05:07:25
1 On 2/27/20 9:53 PM, Dale wrote:
2 > james wrote:
5 >> 5G + gentoo + embedded toys, is going to be FUN FUN FUN.
8 >> Then I'll be off to other states, via a hacked out Redneck
9 >> camper...... and too many microProcessors....
12 >> Thanks Rich, your insights and comments are always most welcome.
15 >> James
16 >
17 > Off topic a bit but a question.� Would one of these Rasp-Pi-4 thingys
18 > make a NAS hard drive server?
19
20 Sure, but, there may be a better solution, something all ready out there
21 and it really depends on refining your needs, current and in the future.
22 So lets refine your specifications (centric to your needs + growth) and
23 figure out what and how much you need. Then we can survey the
24 embedded-thingies, that meet your specs, with a bit of room for growth, OK?
27 >I have a Cooler Master HAF-932 case
28
29 Wow, that's big. What the number and capacity (TB) of
30 your existing hard-drives?
31
32 How much more storage do you want? Replacing drives with larger
33 capacity, might be all you need to do?
34
35 > but
36 > even it is running out of hard drive space.� I'm thinking about building
37 > a NAS box, taking sheet metal and bending it until it looks like a box.
38
39 OK, so we first spec out options, then let you decide. Then you can
40 'bargain shop' for appropriate housing/rack/open chassis, etc.
43 > Thing is, it needs a small puter to take data from the drives to the
44 > network and vice-versa.
45
46 embedded are not only small, they can have extended temperature ranges
47 of tolerance, use drastically less power and many other features. If
48 it's purposed hardware, that is only a few things todo, then yes
49 embedded uP (abbrev for microProcessor) are the way to go. Running off
50 of 12VDC, means an old car battery and a connection to your solar panels
51 (assuming you have those) and it's zero on your electric bill. There is
52 usually a vast array of tax and other incentives, particularly with
53 solar in Ag businesses.
57 > I've never even seen one of those things, except on my monitor, so I
58 > have no idea what all they are capable of.
59
60 Dale, you are pretty strong with Gentoo Linux, so putting a stripped,
61 purposed, minimized gentoo derivative stack, with far less ebuilds, to
62 work for your operations, is going to be quite fun. On a farm or ranch,
63 there are a myriad of things you can do with embedded boards and
64 gentoo-stripped. You can replace many of those expensive (vendor)
65 systems with embedded boards +sensors +controls codes and lots of wires
66 to do most anything. Let's focus on your NAS for now.
69 > I figure a lot of SATA connectors and a ethernet connection
70 > plus enough CPU power and memory to get the job done.
71
72 SATA, was great years ago. Still it makes sense to use, if you already
73 have them. Storage going forward is the process of faster and cheaper
74 and leaving SATA behind, like ide. Still useful, but a power hog. So
75 we'll start out with interfacing your existing SATA drives to the
76 embedded board, and look/decide on options for newer Solid State Data
77 storage options.
80 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB
81
82 You might not even need many sata ports. usb3 and the upcoming usb4 have
83 tons of bandwidth (date/time). Mechanical Hard drives are on the way
84 out. Too expensive and failure prone. SSd and other types of storage,
85 might be right for you, or a mixture. USB stick memory
86 can be huge, very low power draw and very inexpensive.
87
88 A hybrid of several types of memory storage may be useful to experiment
89 with. You may want to categorize your long term storage: some accessed
90 often, others maybe once a year?
93 For data storage, long term important stuff, you should employ RAID
94 (1-10). We can get into that later, duplication of important data, via
95 backups or extra storage is a good idea too. Backups are an old
96 technology, but may help, but backups do can get old too and fragmented.
97 For now, lets not worry so much about long term bit integrity, but focus
98 on your next FUN gentoo rig. I'm hoping other join in to so you have
99 more than my prospective on your solution.
102 > If those things are capable of doing that fairly
103 > easily.� After all, I'm me.� :/
106 OK, so let's survey some system, you can just purchase
107 with gentoo preinstalled, or a very easy pathway to embedded gentoo.
108 Let's look at a few, have some of the other guys jump in, and find you a
109 solution, to start with. Most will be expandable, and you can figure out
110 the casing, mounting, power and such.
111
112 At this stage, it mostly a research effort and then deciding your
113 features/price. If you do not have massive bandwitdh requirements, I'm
114 sure we can find you
115 a very cost effective, DC powered solution.
116
117 Just so you know, I use that fancy $300 OPtima 12vdc charger, and Optima
118 batteries. the charger reconditions most batteries, if they are not
119 beyond saving, even cheap lead-acid batteries. Every Farmer should have
120 one, imho. The Digital 1200 is just awesome.
121
122 https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/battery-charger
123
124 If you like, you can read up on blue, red and yellow top versions and
125 their intended duty-cycle.
126
127 Take some time and look at these gentoo embedded boards, before we
128 diverge to other offerings:
129
130 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Embedded_systems/ARM_hardware_list
133 https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-4-model-b/
134
135 > Just curious.
136 > Dale
137 > :-)� :-)
140 Dale, embedded gentoo is about the most fun thing you'll ever do. A
141 hardware guy like yourself, that is already an accomplish part of the
142 great gentoo community, dude,
143 your going to have a lot of fun, and save money on that farm. So let's
144 get started!
145
146 Post back and I, or others, will try to answer your questions. Be
147 specific about what you do currently and where you want to end up.
148
149 Just so you know, imho, (2) of the finest humans and accomplished Gentoo
150 devs are listed in gentoo-embedded.
151 Actually, all the members are just totally awesome humans, so you, my
152 friend, are in for the ride of a lifetime!
155 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Embedded
158 https://developer.arm.com/tools-and-software/open-source-software/developer-tools/gnu-toolchain/gnu-rm
159
160 More boards to look at (the features).
161
162 https://www.embeddedarm.com/products/category/single-board-computers
163
164 https://freaklabs.org/chibiarduino/