From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Slightly OT but interesting nonetheless...
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 21:02:46
1 On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 3:44 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 3:37 PM, pk <peterk2@××××××××.se> wrote:
3 >> Hi,
4 >>
5 >> Happened upon this interview with Linus Torvalds that some of you might
6 >> find interesting (if you haven't seen it already):
7 >>
8 >> http://h30565.www3.hp.com/t5/Feature-Articles/Linus-Torvalds-s-Lessons-on-Software-Development-Management/ba-p/440
9 >
10 > Yeah, I just saw that. Admittedly, when I saw this section:
11 >
12 > --begin-section--
13 >
14 > I'll add at this point that this isn't just a programmer problem. I've
15 > seen entire companies get locked into the idea that “perfecting” the
16 > program was everything. They then neglected what the users wanted from
17 > the program, supporting the users and so on. Most of us who've been in
18 > the business for a while have seen this cycle play out over and over
19 > again.
20 >
21 > Expanding on that second point, Torvalds says that's why the Linux
22 > kernel team is “so very anal about the whole ‘no regressions’ thing,
23 > for example. Breaking the user experience in order to ‘fix’ something
24 > is a totally broken concept; you cannot do it. If you break the user
25 > experience, you may feel that you have ‘fixed’ something in the code,
26 > but if you fixed it by breaking the user, you just violated that
27 > second point; you thought the code was more important than the user.
28 > Which is not true.”
29 >
30 > --end-section--
31 >
32 > I immediately thought of the udev thread.
33
34 Kernel and userspace are sometimes different.
35
36 Regards.
37 --
38 Canek Peláez Valdés