From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Slightly OT but interesting nonetheless...
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 19:46:44
1 On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 3:37 PM, pk <peterk2@××××××××.se> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > Happened upon this interview with Linus Torvalds that some of you might
5 > find interesting (if you haven't seen it already):
6 >
7 > http://h30565.www3.hp.com/t5/Feature-Articles/Linus-Torvalds-s-Lessons-on-Software-Development-Management/ba-p/440
8
9 Yeah, I just saw that. Admittedly, when I saw this section:
10
11 --begin-section--
12
13 I'll add at this point that this isn't just a programmer problem. I've
14 seen entire companies get locked into the idea that “perfecting” the
15 program was everything. They then neglected what the users wanted from
16 the program, supporting the users and so on. Most of us who've been in
17 the business for a while have seen this cycle play out over and over
18 again.
19
20 Expanding on that second point, Torvalds says that's why the Linux
21 kernel team is “so very anal about the whole ‘no regressions’ thing,
22 for example. Breaking the user experience in order to ‘fix’ something
23 is a totally broken concept; you cannot do it. If you break the user
24 experience, you may feel that you have ‘fixed’ something in the code,
25 but if you fixed it by breaking the user, you just violated that
26 second point; you thought the code was more important than the user.
27 Which is not true.”
28
29 --end-section--
30
31 I immediately thought of the udev thread.
34 :wq