From: James Broadhead <jamesbroadhead@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Slightly OT but interesting nonetheless...
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 20:18:13
1 On 26 September 2011 20:44, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Yeah, I just saw that. Admittedly, when I saw this section:
3 >
4 > --begin-section--
5 >
6 > I'll add at this point that this isn't just a programmer problem. I've
7 > seen entire companies get locked into the idea that “perfecting” the
8 > program was everything. They then neglected what the users wanted from
9 > the program, supporting the users and so on. Most of us who've been in
10 > the business for a while have seen this cycle play out over and over
11 > again.
12 >
13 > Expanding on that second point, Torvalds says that's why the Linux
14 > kernel team is “so very anal about the whole ‘no regressions’ thing,
15 > for example. Breaking the user experience in order to ‘fix’ something
16 > is a totally broken concept; you cannot do it. If you break the user
17 > experience, you may feel that you have ‘fixed’ something in the code,
18 > but if you fixed it by breaking the user, you just violated that
19 > second point; you thought the code was more important than the user.
20 > Which is not true.”
21 >
22 > --end-section--
23 >
24 > I immediately thought of the udev thread.
25
26 The only problem with that attitude is that it eventually leads you to
27 the same position that Microsoft is in with Windows -- where too many
28 years of refusing to drop backwards compatibility were completely
29 holding them back. The direction that they took with Windows XP, drop
30 raw DOS support, release-freeze (9 years!), gather bug reports, fix
31 bugs(!), has actually left them with a pretty stable and functional OS
32 in Windows 7 (The release candidate was not quite as strong).
33
34 If you read the Old New Thing, you will still find some absolute
35 madness left in there to maintain support for Win3.1 programs, and
36 hacked around in some really awful ways.
37
38 Breaking User Experience is a major factor of open-source, it's
39 iterative though, and the general consensus is that each generation of
40 software improves on the previous one (that said, I'm pretty worried
41 about the directions of both gnome3 and kde4).