From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Slightly OT but interesting nonetheless...
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 20:15:20
1 On 2011-09-26, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 3:37 PM, pk <peterk2@××××××××.se> wrote:
3 >> Hi,
4 >>
5 >> Happened upon this interview with Linus Torvalds that some of you might
6 >> find interesting (if you haven't seen it already):
7 >>
8 >> http://h30565.www3.hp.com/t5/Feature-Articles/Linus-Torvalds-s-Lessons-on-Software-Development-Management/ba-p/440
9 >
10 > Yeah, I just saw that. Admittedly, when I saw this section:
11 >
12 > --begin-section--
13 [...]
14 > Breaking the user experience in order to ???fix??? something
15 > is a totally broken concept; you cannot do it.
16
17 That's hilarious.
18
19 The Linux developers are _constantly_ changing APIs in ways that break
20 existing device driver code. There are repeatedly wholesale
21 re-designs of some APIs that happen between minor versions of a
22 supposedly "stable" kernel.
23
24 We have to touch our NetBSD and FreeBSD drivers maybe once every 3-4
25 years. Often our Linux drivers have to be updated every 3-4 _months_
26 to keep up with changes in the kernel that break things.
27
28 I suppose one could try to claim that people who ship Linux drivers
29 for their hardware aren't "users" of the kernel, and therefore our
30 dealing with such breakage isn't a "user experience".
33 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Everybody is going
34 at somewhere!! It's probably
35 gmail.com a garage sale or a disaster
36 Movie!!