From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Slightly OT but interesting nonetheless...
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 16:53:43
1 Am Montag 26 September 2011, 20:13:53 schrieb Grant Edwards:
2 > On 2011-09-26, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 3:37 PM, pk <peterk2@××××××××.se> wrote:
4 > >> Hi,
5 > >>
6 > >> Happened upon this interview with Linus Torvalds that some of you
7 > >> might
8 > >> find interesting (if you haven't seen it already):
9 > >>
10 > >> http://h30565.www3.hp.com/t5/Feature-Articles/Linus-Torvalds-s-Lessons
11 > >> -on-Software-Development-Management/ba-p/440>
12 > > Yeah, I just saw that. Admittedly, when I saw this section:
13 > >
14 > > --begin-section--
15 >
16 > [...]
17 >
18 > > Breaking the user experience in order to ???fix??? something
19 > > is a totally broken concept; you cannot do it.
20 >
21 > That's hilarious.
22 >
23 > The Linux developers are _constantly_ changing APIs in ways that break
24 > existing device driver code. There are repeatedly wholesale
25 > re-designs of some APIs that happen between minor versions of a
26 > supposedly "stable" kernel.
27
28 which is seriously not a problem and does not matter in the slightest.
29
30 They NEVER change user-space APIs and ABIs in incompatible ways. THAT is
31 important.
34 > We have to touch our NetBSD and FreeBSD drivers maybe once every 3-4
35 > years.
36
37 and look how much devices they drive - because nobody has to send their
38 drivers upstream, nobody does.
39
40 > Often our Linux drivers have to be updated every 3-4 _months_
41 > to keep up with changes in the kernel that break things.
42
43 which is your own fucking fault.
44
45 Get your drivers into the kernel. Problem solved.
48 #163933