From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: new installation - partitions
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2014 13:40:06
1 On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 8:23 AM, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Both are rolling distros. Both can be build up from sources, although
3 > Arch makes the binary install path the default for its (new) users,
4 > as well as recovery of binaries that get deleted or become corrupted.
5
6 Arch doesn't offer the equivalent of USE flags does it? Virtually any
7 distro will let you build a package from sources - typically with the
8 goal of obtaining the same binary that the distro distributes. The
9 main distinction Gentoo has is that building from source is the main
10 supported installation method, and the tailoring of packages so that
11 they are unique to each system is fairly well-supported.
12
13 You could build all your own packages on Debian from source and
14 install them, but there wouldn't be much point in doing that. Unless
15 you basically build them with the same settings Debian is already
16 using (maybe you could get away with a very minor CFLAGS tweak or
17 something like that) you are pretty likely to run into problems. If
18 you are just going to use the Debian settings, you might as well just
19 install their binaries. The main use case for building from source on
20 something like Debian would be if you just want to apply a patch to a
21 single package, ideally something without a lot of reverse
22 dependencies.
25 > Both distros offer Systemd.
26
27 Yup - the arch docs are actually pretty useful for anybody using
28 Systemd on Gentoo since many of the Gentoo docs are a bit
29 openrc-centric, though that is changing.
30
31 > The notable difference is Arch has some of the best documataion of any
32 > linux distro; Gentoo struggles to document many key components.
33
34 Interestingly enough people used to say the same thing about Gentoo -
35 when I look at the Arch documents they tend to look a lot like how the
36 Gentoo docs looked in the mid-2000s. People in my local user group
37 often commented that they ran Debian but usually referenced the Gentoo
38 docs.
39
40 > Arch Linux is the 8th most popular linux distro, whilst Gentoo,
41 > despite being 3 years older, is number 47, if you believe what various
42 > sites say.
43
44 I'm sure Arch is more popular these days, but I wouldn't put TOO much
45 stock in distrowatch.
46
47 Heck, I just checked my user agent and it says:
48 Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko)
49 Chrome/37.0.2062.94 Safari/537.36
50
51 Good luck figuring out that I'm running Gentoo from that.
52
53 Since Gentoo uses rolling releases it is a bit hard to get hard
54 numbers on the install base. At my local linux user group people
55 running Ubuntu would always be happy to grab CDs when a new version
56 came out (one of the attendees used to get them to hand out). That
57 made sense since with Ubuntu/Debian you tend to do just minor patching
58 between releases and then you practically re-install everything except
59 /home during major releases, especially if you followed LTS. With
60 Gentoo nobody really does it that way, and we don't get the quarterly
61 news site "new release" posts.
62
63 Bottom line is that it is hard to measure Gentoo popularity. I've
64 been using Gentoo since the early 2000s and in practice I can't really
65 see any decline, even if there aren't as many devs as there once were.
68 Rich