From: Wol <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive error from SMART
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2022 21:50:56
1 On 12/04/2022 20:41, Laurence Perkins wrote:
2 > LVM is good for being able to swap out drives easily but with the modern, huge drives you really want data checksums if you can get them. Otherwise all it takes is a flipped bit somewhere to wreck your data and drive firmware doesn't always notice. I think you can do that with LVM, but I've never looked into it for certain.
3
4 Look at that link for my system that I posted. I use dm-integrity, so a
5 flipped bit will trigger a failure at the raid-5 level and recover.
6
7 For those people looking at btrfs - note that parity-raid (5 or 6) is
8 not a wise idea at the moment so you don't get two-failure protection ...
9
10 Cheers,
11 Wol