From: Julien Roy <julien@××××.ca>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive error from SMART
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2022 22:17:02
1 > For those people looking at btrfs - note that parity-raid (5 or 6) is not a wise idea at the moment so you don't get two-failure protection ...
2 >
3 > Cheers,
4 > Wol
5 >
6 I've been reading that this is less and less true. The write-hole issue is rather old now (first reported around 2016 I think?) From what I read from various sources, the developpers have made some progress and the problem is getting harder and harder to reproduce, for instance, [1].
7 Although some people recommend using RAID1 for the metadata, and RAID5/6 for the data, just in case.
10 Julien
11 [1] https://unixsheikh.com/articles/battle-testing-zfs-btrfs-and-mdadm-dm.html#btrfs-raid-5