From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: rsync internal mirror configuration
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 16:15:34
1 Dave Nebinger <dnebinger <at> joat.com> writes:
5 > Yes but we get back to the point that I had been trying to make - the
6 > embedded devices (even nanobots) would not need to build from source. I
7 > know if I had embedded nanobots I would want them focusing on the job they
8 > were embedded for, not recompiling source from the latest software updates.
9
10 > That's the distinction between a source based an binary based distribution.
11 > Use the source based distro to optimize for hardware then that is the
12 > template for the binary based distro to the embedded systems.
13
14 Well you may be right the majority of the time, but as complex sytems grow
15 and the number of difference in peripherals, sensors, and other variable
16 hardrware details, make issuing a single binary for upgrade, problematic.
17 Just like the kernel on a workstation can be compile specifically for a
18 target mix of devices and the applications then are compiled, sometimes
19 dependant on the kernel/rtos/executive/statemachine details for the binaries that
20 result. Furthermore, often you are resource constrained on an embedded
21 micro:timing, interrupts, code space, processor, cache, or ram limits
22 (just to name a few). It's very common, particulary in the 8/16 bit micro
23 world to make sifnification changes to the statemachine, just because
24 the bloating of features has now created performance or code space issues.
25 Often, Ansi C code is replaced with assembler to compact the executables.
26
27 You have a valid point, but, things are more complicated than that. Often
28 haredware gets replaced or upgraded because the increasing diversity of
29 the code bloats beyond what the resources can handle. Hareware designers
30 often screw up the amount of computational resources needed on an embedded
31 device. That's way so many Cell phones are thrown away each year, they
32 cannot properly handle software (rtos and apps) upgrades....
33
34 Statistically you are correct. In actuality, a significant and growing protion
35 of embedded devices lack the ability (resources) to have their software upgraded
36 or not viable mechanism (like attaching your gameboy to a linux system)
37 exists to extend the life of the micro based product.....
38
39 Think about it. Microsoft and the OS vendors are abandoning 586, p1 and
40 p2 machines in droves. Yet linux/BSD et. al. offer extended life to
41 these aging machines. Embedded devices are only limited by the
42 forward thinking of their designers.....
43
44 Besides what else would I do with my fleeting free time?
45
46 James
51 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list