From: Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: replacement for ftp?
Date: Tue, 16 May 2017 02:35:17
1 Am Mon, 15 May 2017 22:14:48 +0100
2 schrieb lee <lee@××××××××.de>:
3
4 > Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com> writes:
5 >
6 > > Am Sun, 14 May 2017 01:28:55 +0100
7 > > schrieb lee <lee@××××××××.de>:
8 > >
9 > >> Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com> writes:
10 > >>
11 > [...]
12 > [...]
13 > >> [...]
14 > [...]
15 > >>
16 > >> Wow, you must be living in some sort of paradise. Here, internet
17 > >> is more like being cut off from the rest of the world.
18 > >>
19 > >> But then, there's a manufacturer that makes incredibly slow USB
20 > >> sticks which I won't buy anymore ...
21 > >
22 > > Okay, it really depends. I shouldn't say "most"... ;-)
23 >
24 > Intenso --- pretty cheap, but awfully slow; however, it does
25 > work. Better don't buy anything they make unless your time is entirely
26 > worthless to you.
27 >
28 > > I compared my really crappy (but most reliable yet) old USB stick
29 > > to my internet connection. My USB stick doesn't do 48 MByte/s, more
30 > > like 5-10. And don't even ask when writing data.
31 >
32 > 5--10MB/s? How do you get that much?
33
34 For reading? It can work, tho it will eventually drop to 2 MB/s after a
35 short time. For writing: It drops well below 1 MB/s after a short burst.
36
37 > > Even my rusty hard disk (read: not SSD) has a hard time writing
38 > > away a big download with constantly high download rate.
39 >
40 > It must be really old then, about 20 years.
41
42 No, it's just that other IO is also ongoing and filesystem internals
43 have some write overheads and involve head movement which easily limits
44 the drive from its theoretical ideal rate of 120-150 MB/s. Short
45 bursts: No problem. Long running writes are more like 50-70 MB/s, which
46 is pretty near the download rate.
47
48 It's also what I see in gigabit networks: Copy speed could be somewhere
49 between 100 and 120 MB/s, but the local drive seems to easily limit
50 this to 70-80 MB/s.
51
52 My current setup allows constant writing of around 270-280 MB/s
53 according to:
54
55 # dd bs=1M if=/dev/urandom of=test.dat
56 13128171520 bytes (13 GB, 12 GiB) copied, 48,0887 s, 273 MB/s
57
58 So it's not that bad... ;-)
59
60 But dd also runs at 100% CPU during that time, so I guess the write
61 rate could be even higher. I see combined rate of up to 500 MB/s
62 sometimes tho I'm not sure if this is actual transfer rate or just
63 queued IO rate. Also, it is pretty near the SATA bus saturation. I'm
64 not sure if my chipset would deliver this rate per SATA connection or
65 as a combined rate.
68 > > But I guess that a good internet connection should be at least 50
69 > > MBit these days.
70 >
71 > I'd say 100, but see above. The advantage is that you have sufficient
72 > bandwidth to do several things at the same time. I've never seen fast
73 > internet.
74
75 My provider easily delivers such rates, given the remote side is fast
76 enough. Most downloads a saturated at around 15-20 MB/s. Only few
77 servers can deliver more. Probably not only a limit of the servers, but
78 the peer network connections.
81 > > And most USB sticks are really crappy at writing. That also counts
82 > > when you do not transfer the file via network. Of course, most DSL
83 > > connections have crappy upload speed, too. Only lately, Telekom
84 > > offers 40 MBit upload connections in Germany.
85 >
86 > They offer 384kbit/s downstream and deliver 365. It's almost
87 > symmetrical, yet almost unusable.
88
89 Sounds crappy... No alternative providers there? Problem is almost
90 always a combination of multiple factors: A long running cable limiting
91 DSL to a lower physical bandwidth, and usually a too limited traffic
92 concentrator in that area: You should see very different transfer rates
93 at different times of the day.
96 > They also offer 50Mbit and deliver between 2 and 12, and upstream is
97 > awfully low. Tell them you could pay for 16 instead of 50 because you
98 > don't get even that much, and they will tell you that you would get
99 > even less than you do now. That is unacceptable.
100
101 Yes... They would downgrade you to less performing DSL technology then.
102 It's all fine for them because you only pay for "up to" that bandwidth.
105 > And try to get a static IP so you could really use your connection ...
106
107 No problems so far, at least for business plans.
110 > > I'm currently on a 400/25 MBit link and can saturate the link only
111 > > with proper servers like the Steam network which can deliver 48
112 > > MByte/s.
113 >
114 > You must be sitting in a data center and be very lucky to have that.
115
116 Cable network... In a smallish city.
119 Something, that's already almost standard in other European countries.
120 Well... "standard" in terms of availability... Not actual usage. I
121 think the prices will be pretty high. But that's okay: If you need it,
122 you should be willing to pay that. It won't help to have such bandwidth
123 without the provider being able to effort the needed infrastructure.
124 It's already over-provisioned too much as you already found out.
128 Regards,
129 Kai
130
131 Replies to list-only preferred.