From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: replacement for ftp?
Date: Mon, 15 May 2017 21:34:31
1 Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > Am Sun, 14 May 2017 01:28:55 +0100
4 > schrieb lee <lee@××××××××.de>:
5 >
6 >> Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com> writes:
7 >>
8 >> > Am Sat, 29 Apr 2017 22:02:51 -0400
9 >> > schrieb "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes@××××××××.org>:
10 >> >
11 >> >> Then there's always "sneakernet". To quote Andrew Tanenbaum from
12 >> >> 1981
13 >> >>
14 >> [...]
15 >> >
16 >> > Hehe, with the improvements in internet connections nowadays, we
17 >> > almost stopped transferring backups via sneakernet. Calculating the
18 >> > transfer speed of the internet connection vs. the speed calculating
19 >> > miles per hour, internet almost always won lately. :-)
20 >> >
21 >> > Most internet connections are faster than even USB sticks these
22 >> > days.
23 >>
24 >> Wow, you must be living in some sort of paradise. Here, internet is
25 >> more like being cut off from the rest of the world.
26 >>
27 >> But then, there's a manufacturer that makes incredibly slow USB sticks
28 >> which I won't buy anymore ...
29 >
30 > Okay, it really depends. I shouldn't say "most"... ;-)
31
32 Intenso --- pretty cheap, but awfully slow; however, it does
33 work. Better don't buy anything they make unless your time is entirely
34 worthless to you.
35
36 > I compared my really crappy (but most reliable yet) old USB stick to my
37 > internet connection. My USB stick doesn't do 48 MByte/s, more like 5-10.
38 > And don't even ask when writing data.
39
40 5--10MB/s? How do you get that much?
41
42 > Even my rusty hard disk (read: not SSD) has a hard time writing away a
43 > big download with constantly high download rate.
44
45 It must be really old then, about 20 years.
46
47 > But I guess that a good internet connection should be at least 50 MBit
48 > these days.
49
50 I'd say 100, but see above. The advantage is that you have sufficient
51 bandwidth to do several things at the same time. I've never seen fast
52 internet.
53
54 > And most USB sticks are really crappy at writing. That also counts when
55 > you do not transfer the file via network. Of course, most DSL
56 > connections have crappy upload speed, too. Only lately, Telekom offers
57 > 40 MBit upload connections in Germany.
58
59 They offer 384kbit/s downstream and deliver 365. It's almost
60 symmetrical, yet almost unusable.
61
62 They also offer 50Mbit and deliver between 2 and 12, and upstream is
63 awfully low. Tell them you could pay for 16 instead of 50 because you
64 don't get even that much, and they will tell you that you would get even
65 less than you do now. That is unacceptable.
66
67 And try to get a static IP so you could really use your connection ...
68
69 > I'm currently on a 400/25 MBit link and can saturate the link only with
70 > proper servers like the Steam network which can deliver 48 MByte/s.
71
72 You must be sitting in a data center and be very lucky to have that.
76 "Didn't work" is an error.