From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Kon Colivas is working again on a new scheduler for Desktop/Multimedia/Gaming PCs
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2009 23:57:43
1 On 09/05/2009 02:43 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > On Samstag 05 September 2009, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 >> I recently stumbled upon an LWN article that mentioned Con Kolivas is
4 >> working on a new kernel scheduler for Desktop/Multimedia/Gaming PCs
5 >> called "BFS":
6 >>
7 >> http://lwn.net/Articles/350100
8 >>
9 >> Well, I've tried it. I wrote my experiences with it here:
10 >>
11 >> http://lwn.net/Articles/350820
12 >>
13 >> If you're feeling adventurous, you might want to give that one a try. In
14 >> my case, it helped immensely, especially with sound latency and skips
15 >> and other artifacts during real-time playback (I was not using an RT
16 >> kernel before that though). Note that BFS has been updated to 0.206
17 >> since I wrote that.
18 >>
19 >> The patch to kernel 2.6.30 and docs can be found at:
20 >>
21 >> http://ck.kolivas.org/patches/bfs
24 > and what is with people like me - who for some magical reasons don't have
25 > problems with skips or latency? Without using rt-kernels of course.-
26
27 Then I guess you don't need this. As I said, on *my* system, it helped
28 quite a lot.