From: Bill Longman <bill.longman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Minimal Gentoo with X
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 16:17:35
1 On 06/30/2010 08:03 AM, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2010-06-30, Shoka <shoka@×××.ch> wrote:
3 >
4 >> I'm trying to build kind of a minimal gentoo setup with X support. All I
5 >> need is
6 >>
7 >> - X11 and a Window Manager
8 >> - Mozilla Firefox
9 >> - Lighttpd
10 >>
11 >> I use Gnome at this time.
12 >
13 > Gnome?!?!
14 >
15 > That's like saying "all I needed was a couple of deck chairs, so I
16 > bought the Queen Mary".
17 >
18 > One step towards smaller/lighter would be the XFCE desktop instead of
19 > Gnome. While a lot smaller/faster than Gnuome, XFCE is still far from
20 > "minimal".
21 >
22 > If you want more minimal, then I'd try icewm, fvwm, or blackbox/fluxbox.
23
24 I agree with Grant and others. XFCE is the other WM on my machines. On
25 my old PIII with 256MB RAM, it's really the only option. KDE for the
26 ones with the power, but that's far from "light".
27
28 But my personal "light" window manager fave of all time is ratpoison.
29 That's what goes on the servers....