From: "»Q«" <boxcars@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: How can I bring back Konqueror as my man page viewer?
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 01:32:23
1 On Sat, 18 Aug 2012 18:10:01 +0300
2 Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On 18/08/12 17:41, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
5 > > Am Samstag, 18. August 2012, 03:51:55 schrieb Nikos Chantziaras:
6 > >> In KDE, I'm very used to simply type "man:foo" and have the man
7 > >> page of "foo" pop up immediately in Konqueror without having to
8 > >> open a terminal or anything.
9 > >>
10 > >> However, since I installed Chromium and making it my default
11 > >> browser, now "man:" brings up Chromium instead. That doesn't
12 > >> work; instead of displaying the man page, it downloads the *.bz2
13 > >> from the local file system :-/
14 > >>
15 > >> How can I set Konqueror to be the program that handles KDE's
16 > >> "man:" command?
17 > >
18 > > open system-settings. Open mime/applications/whatever submenu
19 > > (called 'Dateizuordnungen' in German).
20 > >
21 > > application-xtroff-man
22 > > and
23 > > application-xtroff-man-compressed
24 > >
25 > > should be the things you have to set. Click on 'embedded' and
26 > > choose KManPart
27 > >
28 > > And that it is always shown in the embedded part.
29 > >
30 > > We are talking about KDE here - not gnome. It should not be
31 > > necessary to fiddle with desktop files.
32 >
33 > This is already set up that way. Except that x-troff-man-compressed
34 > is grayed out because there's no file extension listed.
35
36 It's not greyed for me, and I just set both up that way, but KDE is
37 still opening man:foo with my default web browser, Firefox. KDE is
38 putting a decompressed copy in /var/tmp/kdecache-${username}/krun/ and
39 Firefox displays it ok, but I'd much rather be seeing it in Konqueror.