From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: (II) NV(0): Setting screen physical size to 508 x 317
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 00:03:57
1 On 07/15/2010 11:03 PM, Erik wrote:
2 > 2010-07-16 01:51, walt skrev:
3 >> On 07/15/2010 02:15 AM, Erik wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> ...This is the
6 >>> new Dell vostro|1720 from November, that replaced the old INSPIRON|8600
7 >>> aquired 5 years earlier...
8 >>
9 >> I feel as if I'm reading a post that I selected at random from the
10 >> middle of a long thread with lots of previous questions and answers
11 >> that I can't see.
12 >>
13 >> I've never heard of either of those products. Maybe someone else
14 >> knows what they are?
17 > Do not worry about not knowing about the products that I mentioned in
18 > the parenthesis in the last paragraph (they are just some laptops with
19 > differend graphic cards built in).
20
21 Ah, I understand now. I was expecting the information to be relevant.
22
23 > You may know enough to help if you
24 > are familiar with Xorg, in particular the driver called NV (as the first
25 > 2 lines of my post shows)...
26
27 I know a little about it. It is no longer maintained by xorg or nvidia, so
28 that may be part of the problem if you are using recent nvidia hardware.
29
30 A commonly asked question is "does it work as expected with the vesa driver?"
31 (Vesa does not include 2D/3D acceleration, obviously, but it should at least
32 give you correct results for an ordinary console.)
33
34 The open-source 'nv' driver has been replaced by the open-source 'nouveau'
35 driver, which is still very much a work in progress. I'm using it just to
36 experiment -- I don't need 2D/3D acceleration, but maybe you do. If so, you
37 need to use nvidia's proprietary 'nvidia' driver because it's the only choice
38 you have at present.
39
40 All of the drivers I mentioned are in gentoo portage in the xf86-video-* series.
41
42 "nouveau" suppport in the kernel needs a bit of annoying fiddling with the
43 kernel config file to get it right. I can help with that if you want to try
44 it.