From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] can genkernel install files with different names?
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2019 14:58:19
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Tue, 22 Oct 2019 09:29:01 -0500, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >>> If I trust the makefile to build the entire operating system kernel,
5 >>> build all the modules it needs and copy all those modules to the
6 >>> correct locations, I don't see why I can't let it copy one more file
7 >>> to /boot.
8 >> Thing is, I already trust what I'm doing to work, as far as the copy
9 >> process etc.  ;-)  Plus, it's not something I do very often either.  It
10 >> would be my luck that I'd run that script and it screw up not only the
11 >> new kernel but my old setup as well.
12 > It would be a pretty sad state of affairs if you couldn't trust yourself
13 > to be able to copy one file to /boot ;-)
16 Well, giving it the correct name and all can be interesting at times.  I
17 try to be consistent but I have to also take into account what Grub will
18 allow.  I think the old Grub would allow you to name the kernel anything
19 as long as it was the same in the config file.
22 >> I have to add, I still like the old grub since I could also add the
23 >> kernel entry myself, just to know it is done and will work.  This new
24 >> thing still worries me.
25 > You can hand-configure GRUB2 too, there are even example files included.
26 > The main benefit of grub-mkconfig is to binary distros so they can
27 > automate the process when installing the distro or updating the kernel.
30 I've tried to figure out Grub2 and find it to be a beast of confusion
31 and just a beast in general.  Even the config file is complicated.  The
32 old one, it was simple and I rarely had any issues with it.  I only
33 switched because it is no longer maintained and I was concerned that it
34 might stop working for some reason.  If it was maintained, I'd still be
35 using it.
36
37 >> Don't get me started on that init thingy
38 > Don't worry, I know better than that! I won't mention HAL either :-)
42 Yea, not sure which I hate most.  They both rub me the wrong way.
43
44 Dale
45