From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] can genkernel install files with different names?
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2019 14:38:19
1 On Tue, 22 Oct 2019 09:29:01 -0500, Dale wrote:
2
3 > > If I trust the makefile to build the entire operating system kernel,
4 > > build all the modules it needs and copy all those modules to the
5 > > correct locations, I don't see why I can't let it copy one more file
6 > > to /boot.
7
8 > Thing is, I already trust what I'm doing to work, as far as the copy
9 > process etc.  ;-)  Plus, it's not something I do very often either.  It
10 > would be my luck that I'd run that script and it screw up not only the
11 > new kernel but my old setup as well.
12
13 It would be a pretty sad state of affairs if you couldn't trust yourself
14 to be able to copy one file to /boot ;-)
15
16 > I have to add, I still like the old grub since I could also add the
17 > kernel entry myself, just to know it is done and will work.  This new
18 > thing still worries me.
19
20 You can hand-configure GRUB2 too, there are even example files included.
21 The main benefit of grub-mkconfig is to binary distros so they can
22 automate the process when installing the distro or updating the kernel.
23
24 > Don't get me started on that init thingy
25
26 Don't worry, I know better than that! I won't mention HAL either :-)
30 Neil Bothwick
31
32 On the other hand, you have different fingers.