From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] can genkernel install files with different names?
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2019 14:29:13
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Tue, 22 Oct 2019 03:33:24 -0500, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> If one of those should stop working or I buy something new and need to
5 >> add support for it, the new kernel will have a -2 on the end instead of
6 >> -1.  I'm not sure on the -gentoo one.  Thing is, I can boot the old
7 >> kernel of that version or even boot a older kernel if needed.  It gives
8 >> me a lot of booting options.  Maybe someone can figure out a way to make
9 >> those scripts name kernels that way??
10 >>
11 >> I plan to clean older ones out eventually and I use uprecords to pick
12 >> what kernel are the most stable and pick the latest versions, usually
13 >> two maybe three, just to be sure I can boot something. I'll also add, I
14 >> name my config files the same as kernels and also those init thingys I
15 >> hate so much.  The grub thingy requires the init thingy to have the same
16 >> names but the configs just make sense.  ;-)
17 >>
18 >> If a script could do it that way, I might even use it.  I've yet to hear
19 >> of one that does it tho.
20 > make install does that, except the kernels are named vmlinuz-* rather
21 > then kernel-*. The LOCALVERSION settings in the kernel config help. I do
22 > the whole job with a script that boils down to
23 >
24 > [ -f .config ] || make oldconfig
25 > make all modules_install install || exit 1
26 > dracut --some-opts
27 > grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
28 >
29 > If I trust the makefile to build the entire operating system kernel,
30 > build all the modules it needs and copy all those modules to the correct
31 > locations, I don't see why I can't let it copy one more file to /boot.
36 Thing is, I already trust what I'm doing to work, as far as the copy
37 process etc.  ;-)  Plus, it's not something I do very often either.  It
38 would be my luck that I'd run that script and it screw up not only the
39 new kernel but my old setup as well.
40
41 I have to add, I still like the old grub since I could also add the
42 kernel entry myself, just to know it is done and will work.  This new
43 thing still worries me.  Don't get me started on that init thingy
44 either.  I've already had a couple of those to fail somehow.  I still
45 don't trust those things one bit, not even a tiny bit.
46
47 Dale
48