From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] can genkernel install files with different names?
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2019 13:42:53
1 On Tue, 22 Oct 2019 03:33:24 -0500, Dale wrote:
2
3 > If one of those should stop working or I buy something new and need to
4 > add support for it, the new kernel will have a -2 on the end instead of
5 > -1.  I'm not sure on the -gentoo one.  Thing is, I can boot the old
6 > kernel of that version or even boot a older kernel if needed.  It gives
7 > me a lot of booting options.  Maybe someone can figure out a way to make
8 > those scripts name kernels that way??
9 >
10 > I plan to clean older ones out eventually and I use uprecords to pick
11 > what kernel are the most stable and pick the latest versions, usually
12 > two maybe three, just to be sure I can boot something. I'll also add, I
13 > name my config files the same as kernels and also those init thingys I
14 > hate so much.  The grub thingy requires the init thingy to have the same
15 > names but the configs just make sense.  ;-)
16 >
17 > If a script could do it that way, I might even use it.  I've yet to hear
18 > of one that does it tho.
19
20 make install does that, except the kernels are named vmlinuz-* rather
21 then kernel-*. The LOCALVERSION settings in the kernel config help. I do
22 the whole job with a script that boils down to
23
24 [ -f .config ] || make oldconfig
25 make all modules_install install || exit 1
26 dracut --some-opts
27 grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
28
29 If I trust the makefile to build the entire operating system kernel,
30 build all the modules it needs and copy all those modules to the correct
31 locations, I don't see why I can't let it copy one more file to /boot.
35 Neil Bothwick
36
37 But there, everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his
38 mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.
39 -- Jerome K. Jerome