From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] At last! A Qt5 version of KMail-2 - but here be dragons!
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2016 09:47:35
1 On 28/12/2016 11:28, J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On December 27, 2016 9:36:36 PM GMT+01:00, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >> On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 19:54:57 +0000, J. Roeleveld wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> Speaking of English. I always wonder which would be a better match
6 >> for
7 >>> someone who uses English mostly to deal with international friends
8 >> and
9 >>> computers. I am Dutch myself, which means it's officially a second
10 >>> language for me. (Always wondered about that, as I speak several
11 >>> languages and fluency is simply a matter of which I speak regularly).
12 >> I
13 >>> usually throw a dice to decide between US and UK whenever I get
14 >> asked.
15 >>
16 >> As a native English speaking pedant, I would throw "a die" or "some
17 >> dice"
18 >> to decide, dice is the plural :P
19 >
20 > I stand corrected. Always thought the word was both singular and plural.
21 >
22 > Probably because most games with dice have more then 1.
23 >
24 > Still wondering which the majority of non-english-natives would use.
25 > Is there an Irish, Welsh or Scottish dictionary available? (Sequence chosen randomly)
26
27 There are really only two:
28
29 - dictionaries printed in England (Oxford's collection is the de-facto
30 definitive)
31 - dictionaries printed in the U.S.A., which all seem to follow the local
32 lingo i.e. New York English is a very different beast from L.A. English
33
34 English is a funny language, almost unique. It absorbs new words and
35 grammars from the local language like the Borg. And some of us (myself
36 included) want to keep the rules the same even though they are
37 constantly changing from new input :-)
38
39 How do you think "sheep" got to be both singular and plural? Wasn't
40 always like that, it became that way and now it's the correct form.
41
42 Same with die and dice - one day you will be correct but Peter and I
43 will be wrong
47 Alan McKinnon
48 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com