From: Jeremy Olexa <olex.mail.lists@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ebuild dependencies and the --tree switch
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2006 01:47:08
1 Daniel Rolls wrote:
2 > Can anybody explain or refer to an explanation of how
3 > dependencies work in Gentoo?
4
5 Well, when you use the -p flag it says: "These are the packages that I
6 would merge, in reverse order:" I interpret that as being package A
7 needs B so B will be installed BEFORE A.
8
9 Are you following me here?
10
11 With that being said, if B needs deps too then depB will be installed
12 before B AND before A. SO...if x11-themes/gnome-icon-theme is at the
13 root of a tree it has to be the first dep needed by a dep of kde (or
14 directly by kde) which portage has so graciously figured out for you.
15
16 Or I could tell you that you just need to read the tree output from the
17 bottom up to figure it out ;) I encourage you to try "emerge -pve
18 xorg-x11" with and without the --tree flag and perhaps it will make more
19 sense.
20
21 Hope that helps,
22 Jeremy