From: Daniel Rolls <dan2712@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] ebuild dependencies and the --tree switch
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 17:47:25
1 Hi,
2
3 I'm trying to understand how ebuild dependencies work
4 in gentoo. If I type:
5
6 emerge -vpu --deep --tree kde-base/kdebase
7
8 I see the package x11-themes/gnome-icon-theme-2.12.1
9 at one of the roots of the tree. The kdebase version
10 is 3.5.1-r3. Firstly how can anything other than
11 kde-base/kdebase be at the root of the tree? Surely
12 with this command everything installed or upgraded
13 must either directly or indirectly depend on
14 kde-base/kdebase? Assuming that
15 x11-themes/gnome-icon-theme must be a direct dependent
16 of kde-base/kdebase I still cannot see any references
17 to gnome-icon-theme in
18 /usr/portage/kde-base/kdebase/kdebase-3.5.1-r3.ebuild.
19 I have tried adding the -e switch to emerge but
20 x11-themes/gnome-icon-theme still appears at a root of
21 the tree?
22
23 Can anybody explain or refer to an explanation of how
24 dependencies work in Gentoo?
25
26 Dan
33 Yahoo! Messenger - NEW crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with voicemail http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com