From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Thanks and bye for now
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 12:10:39
1 On Monday 29 December 2008, Dale wrote:
2 > Norberto Bensa wrote:
3
4 > > Do you use evdev?
5
6 > This is what I have installed according to equery:
7 >
8 > root@smoker / # equery list dev
9 > [ Searching for package 'dev' in all categories among: ]
10 > * installed packages
11 > [I--] [ ~] kde-base/kdewebdev-meta-3.5.10 (3.5)
12 > [I--] [ ] sys-fs/device-mapper-1.02.24-r1 (0)
13 > [I--] [ ] sys-fs/udev-124-r1 (0)
14 > root@smoker / #
15 >
16 > Point is, the only thing that changes is the kernel. Same KDE, same
17 > user, same everything except for the kernel. Is there something
18 > different that the new kernels require with regard to udev? Do I need a
19 > newer unstable udev installed for the new kernels?
20
21 The package/driver is evdev (not udev).
22
23 I wouldn't be joining the chorus of disgruntled users pointing at half baked
24 kernels with problematic drivers because kernels (for me) have been pretty
25 stable for years now. However, that was before 2.6.27-gentoo-r7. My problem
26 seems to be two fold:
27
28 a)Looong delay (around a whole minute or so) waiting on the penguin logo
29 before the kernel is loaded and the main boot up occurs.
30 b)My sound card is not recognised by alsa which barfs and never loads.
31
32 I have posted on a different thread (which has not attracted any responses)
33
34 http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/207339
35
36 and I assume that my kernel problems are not that common in the Gentoo user
37 community. I haven't yet posted a bug on it - but if subsequent kernels do
38 not fix it and my confidence that I have not performed some kernel
39 configuration error increases I will do so. After all without bug reports
40 how would the devs know what's borked for the users?
41 --
42 Regards,
43 Mick