From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is perl broken?
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2015 03:30:44
1 On Sunday 05 April 2015 21:05:15 Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
2 > Am Sonntag, 5. April 2015, 19:03:43 schrieb Peter Humphrey:
3 > > On Sunday 05 April 2015 18:29:05 Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
4 > > > Do you see anything that is actually broken?
5 > >
6 > > Apart from perl-cleaner and portage? Emerge exiting silently after being
7 > > given a list of packages to emerge doesn't exactly seem like normal
8 > > behaviour to me. It was told "emerge -v1 ...[list of packages]" as in
9 > > perl- cleaner's usual behaviour. No ifs, no buts - just do it.
10 >
11 > Very strange. Portage does to my best knowledge not use perl and not even
12 > depend on it.
13
14 After a bit more thought I remember that GCC was upgraded last week, and the
15 change log referred to many bug fixes. (That's what my memory tells me,
16 anyway, but I can't see where I found it now.) So I decided to emerge -e
17 world, which I did in two passes: first emerge -eB world, then boot to a
18 minimal system and emerge -eK world. Then etc-update and reboot, compile the
19 kernel again (gentoo-sources-3.18.9) and a final reboot.
20
21 Maybe something went wrong in the middle of that, so I've set off the same
22 process again. It'll take a few hours, so I'm off to bed again meanwhile -
23 it's 04:30 here.
26 Rgds
27 Peter.