From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is perl broken?
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2015 09:20:24
1 On Monday 06 April 2015 04:30:35 I wrote:
2
3 > After a bit more thought I remember that GCC was upgraded last week, and
4 > the change log referred to many bug fixes. (That's what my memory tells
5 > me, anyway, but I can't see where I found it now.) So I decided to emerge
6 > -e world, which I did in two passes: first emerge -eB world, then boot to
7 > a minimal system and emerge -eK world. Then etc-update and reboot,
8 > compile the kernel again (gentoo-sources-3.18.9) and a final reboot.
9 >
10 > Maybe something went wrong in the middle of that, so I've set off the same
11 > process again. It'll take a few hours, so I'm off to bed again meanwhile
12 > - it's 04:30 here.
13
14 Well, after 18 hours of that emerge -e world, I started the completely
15 rebuilt system, removed those three packages from package.mask:
16
17 $ cat /etc/portage/package.mask
18 >=sys-boot/grub-2.00
19 =sys-fs/lvm2-2.02.109
20 #
21 #=dev-lang/perl-5.20.2
22 #~virtual/perl-File-Spec-3.480.100
23 #~virtual/perl-Storable-2.490.100
24
25 ...and ran perl-cleaner again. Same result - portage exited silently when
26 given the list of packages to install.
27
28 Next, "eselect python set 1" set the main active version from its previous
29 3.3 to 2.7, just in case of some problem with 3.3. No difference.
30
31 Then I chose one of the silently ignored packages and tried to emerge it
32 myself, but still portage did nothing:
33
34 ---------
35 $ sudo emerge -1av dev-perl/Text-WrapI18N
36
37 These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
38
39 Calculating dependencies .... done!
40
41 Total: 0 packages, Size of downloads: 0 KiB
42
43 Nothing to merge; quitting.
44 ---------
45
46 Yet the package is in the database:
47
48 $ eix -Ic dev-perl/Text-WrapI18N
49 [I] dev-perl/Text-WrapI18N (0.60.0-r1{tbz2}@10/02/15): Internationalized
50 substitute of Text::Wrap
51
52 Today's routine sync and update has pulled two packages in: gentoo-
53 sources-3.18.11 and chromium-41.0.2272.118. Gentoo-sources has just been
54 installed and I'm compiling the new kernel; chromium will take longer.
55
56 This just gets weirder and weirder. When does portage do what it's told and
57 when does it not? ;)
60 Rgds
61 Peter.