From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] --depclean wants to remove openrc. Yikes!
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2021 13:40:14
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 >
3 > My point is that you are mixing portage and non-portage packages, that's
4 > why portage is getting confused. I don't know much about daemontools, but
5 > it seems the sort of package that should not be in @world, but only
6 > installed as a dependency of something else.
7 >
8 > I'm nit suggesting that you should avoid non-portage packages, that may
9 > be impossible or undesirable, but you should be aware of possible
10 > consequences. When I need portage to install dependencies to a
11 > non-portage package, I generally create a set for them, so you could
12 > create qmail-deps containing both daemontools and openrc and emerge it.
13 > Then you are safe from either being depcleaned. If you ever decide to
14 > stop using qmail, you can just unmerge the set and let portage clean up.
18 I forgot about the sets option.  That would be another good way to solve
19 this issue.  It does mean emerge/portage doesn't know why the packages
20 are needed but it wouldn't remove them because the user told
21 emerge/portage not too.  That may be better than adding daemontools to
22 the world file and much easier than creating a ebuild.
23
24 Nice thinking Neil.  :-D
25
26 Dale