From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] html5 no longer working in firefox
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 21:06:57
1 Am Tue, 13 Jan 2015 15:30:12 -0500
2 schrieb covici@××××××××××.com:
3
4 > Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de> wrote:
5 >
6 > > Am Tue, 16 Dec 2014 15:09:14 -0500
7 > > schrieb covici@××××××××××.com:
8 > >
9 > > > Hi. I have found since my latest update that html5 is getting no audio
10 > > > in firefox. I am not sure what libraries are involved in this -- I
11 > > > downgraded firefox to 31.3.0, compiled with debug, but no error
12 > > > messages. It worked in early November so it must have been some update,
13 > > > but I can't figure out which -- how can I even troubleshoot such a
14 > > > thing. I am using gnome 3.14.x, so I have the gnome overlay and the
15 > > > "unstable" version of gentoo. I compile with a use flag of -pulseaudio,
16 > > > so its mostly Alsa unless gnome says otherwise.
17 > > >
18 > > > Any ideas would be appreciated.
19 > >
20 > > I don't know what exactly you mean with "no audio", but I had problems with
21 > > MP3 files not decoding anymore around the same time as you did, despite
22 > > installing Firefox with USE=gstreamer. I finally decided to debug it again
23 > > today, and had success after installing gst-plugins-mad (although I would be
24 > > surprised if gst-plugins-lame did not work, either). Now SoundCloud works again!
25 > >
26 > > For the future, regarding how to debug these issues, you can try the following:
27 > >
28 > > - Start Firefox from a terminal to see the log.
29 > >
30 > > - Use the debug console (Ctrl-Shift-i) to see site-specific (and plug-in
31 > > related!) error messages.
32 > >
33 > > In my case I was getting gstreamer related assertion failures in the terminal,
34 > > and the debug console showed many decoding errors. That made it pretty clear
35 > > that the issue must have something to do with GStreamer.
36 >
37 > By mo audio I mean that when I loaded the player (for plural site) I
38 > heard no sound as I did before that update and was told that the player
39 > used html5.
40
41 That still sounds too vague to me, as I cannot tell whether you mean that the
42 file does not play at all, or that it plays, but you can't hear anything, or
43 maybe even that it's not possible to tell what exactly is going wrong.
44
45 > I will try the control-shift-i -- does firefox have to be
46 > compiled with debug to do this?
47
48 No, you don't need to install firefox with FEATURES=debug. The debug console
49 is part of Firefox's built-in set of web developer tools.
50
51 HTH
52 --
53 Marc Joliet
54 --
55 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
56 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup