From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] html5 no longer working in firefox
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 20:30:21
1 Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de> wrote:
2
3 > Am Tue, 16 Dec 2014 15:09:14 -0500
4 > schrieb covici@××××××××××.com:
5 >
6 > > Hi. I have found since my latest update that html5 is getting no audio
7 > > in firefox. I am not sure what libraries are involved in this -- I
8 > > downgraded firefox to 31.3.0, compiled with debug, but no error
9 > > messages. It worked in early November so it must have been some update,
10 > > but I can't figure out which -- how can I even troubleshoot such a
11 > > thing. I am using gnome 3.14.x, so I have the gnome overlay and the
12 > > "unstable" version of gentoo. I compile with a use flag of -pulseaudio,
13 > > so its mostly Alsa unless gnome says otherwise.
14 > >
15 > > Any ideas would be appreciated.
16 >
17 > I don't know what exactly you mean with "no audio", but I had problems with
18 > MP3 files not decoding anymore around the same time as you did, despite
19 > installing Firefox with USE=gstreamer. I finally decided to debug it again
20 > today, and had success after installing gst-plugins-mad (although I would be
21 > surprised if gst-plugins-lame did not work, either). Now SoundCloud works again!
22 >
23 > For the future, regarding how to debug these issues, you can try the following:
24 >
25 > - Start Firefox from a terminal to see the log.
26 >
27 > - Use the debug console (Ctrl-Shift-i) to see site-specific (and plug-in
28 > related!) error messages.
29 >
30 > In my case I was getting gstreamer related assertion failures in the terminal,
31 > and the debug console showed many decoding errors. That made it pretty clear
32 > that the issue must have something to do with GStreamer.
33
34 By mo audio I mean that when I loaded the player (for plural site) I
35 heard no sound as I did before that update and was told that the player
36 used html5. I will try the control-shift-i -- does firefox have to be
37 compiled with debug to do this?
38
39 Thanks.
42 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
43 How do
44 you spend it?
45
46 John Covici