From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] html5 no longer working in firefox
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 20:18:49
1 Am Tue, 16 Dec 2014 15:09:14 -0500
2 schrieb covici@××××××××××.com:
3
4 > Hi. I have found since my latest update that html5 is getting no audio
5 > in firefox. I am not sure what libraries are involved in this -- I
6 > downgraded firefox to 31.3.0, compiled with debug, but no error
7 > messages. It worked in early November so it must have been some update,
8 > but I can't figure out which -- how can I even troubleshoot such a
9 > thing. I am using gnome 3.14.x, so I have the gnome overlay and the
10 > "unstable" version of gentoo. I compile with a use flag of -pulseaudio,
11 > so its mostly Alsa unless gnome says otherwise.
12 >
13 > Any ideas would be appreciated.
14
15 I don't know what exactly you mean with "no audio", but I had problems with
16 MP3 files not decoding anymore around the same time as you did, despite
17 installing Firefox with USE=gstreamer. I finally decided to debug it again
18 today, and had success after installing gst-plugins-mad (although I would be
19 surprised if gst-plugins-lame did not work, either). Now SoundCloud works again!
20
21 For the future, regarding how to debug these issues, you can try the following:
22
23 - Start Firefox from a terminal to see the log.
24
25 - Use the debug console (Ctrl-Shift-i) to see site-specific (and plug-in
26 related!) error messages.
27
28 In my case I was getting gstreamer related assertion failures in the terminal,
29 and the debug console showed many decoding errors. That made it pretty clear
30 that the issue must have something to do with GStreamer.
31
32 HTH
33 --
34 Marc Joliet
35 --
36 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
37 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup