From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Network printing
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 19:31:38
1 On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 3:45 AM, Peter Humphrey
2 <peter@××××××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > On Wednesday 24 December 2008 10:45:58 Mick wrote:
4 >
5 >> It could still be a machine naming issue if you are pointing your client
6 >> to e.g. http://192.168.2.2:631 instead of http://serv.ethnet:631 - which
7 >> is what I suspect the SSL certificate's CN record shows.
8 >
9 > (There's always one more detail that gets forgotten.) I am pointing my
10 > client to serv.ethnet, not any IP address. It decides for itself, part-way
11 > through setting-up the printer, that it's now connected to a different host
12 > from before.
13 >
14 >> Either way - if you disable authentication with SSL this problem will go
15 >> away.
16 >
17 > - but remain unsolved. Thanks anyway.
18 >
19 > --
20 > Rgds
21 > Peter
25 Hi Peter,
26 Sorry that I'm not much involved in this thread. I'm traveling and
27 trying to catch up so I'm reading on a laptop screen. I'm a bit out of
28 touch.
29
30 I'm having a bit of a hard time understanding your setup. How many
31 machines are you working with? Is this home and it's a couple of
32 machines, or is it a work environment where there might be other
33 strange bits of hardware in between that could be filtering and/or
34 applying rules of some unknown type?
35
36 Is the printer an HP (hplip was mentioned) and if so why use the
37 PPD file from linuxprinting.org at all? For my simple home setup I
38 didn't need to do that with hplip installed on each machine. (Cups
39 server as well as Linux clients) I'm actually visiting my parents
40 where my dad just purchased an HP 1522nf printer. It's connected to
41 his Linux box using USB. hplip more or less automatically made the
42 printer available to the Gentoo machines on the network so I didn't
43 have to do anything to gt them printer. since I'm on my Vista-based
44 laptop I thought I'd try printing from here. I created a new printer,
45 pointed the laptop at
46
47 http://192.168.1.2:631/printers/HP_1522nf
48
49 and then let Windows find it. Once it did I had to choose the wrong
50 driver as I don't have one for the 1522, so I chose one for a 1300
51 series laserjet, asked Windows to print the test page, and out popped
52 a printed page.
53
54 If you cannot make headway then I'm wondering if maybe you
55 shouldn't go back to basics. Drop the SSL stuff, connect to the IP
56 address directly, get it working, and then investigate adding these
57 other things in until something breaks?
58
59 Whatever you do, and to everyone else reading, best wishes for the
60 Holiday Season. Let's hope for peace.
61
62 Cheers,
63 Mark