From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] installed Gentoo on SSD - no bootable device
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2014 21:06:32
1 On Fri, 5 Sep 2014 13:54:07 -0600, Joseph wrote:
2
3 > >> I don't need to format sda1, grub2-install should take care of it.
4 > >> So what am I doing wrong?
5 > >
6 > >Did you run grub2-install from within the chroot? I've had problems
7 > >with this in the past, no error messages but GRUB is not installed
8 > >correctly. Instead, mount your root and boot partitions at /mnt/gent
9 > >and /mnt/gentoo/boot and run grub2-install from the live system
10 > >
11 > >grub2-install --root-directory=/mnt/gentoo
12 > >--boot-directory=/mnt/gentoo/boot /dev/sda
13 >
14 > This will install grub in /mnt/gentoo/boot and will be gone after I
15 > reboot.
16
17 GRUB is already installed there, when you emerged it. grub-install sets
18 up the bootstrapping, but it needs to know where the files are, and they
19 are in /mnt/gentoo. I've done it this way several times and it always
20 worked, your way has not worked. You decide which is preferable.
21
22 > I was able to boot the system with systemrescue CD the kernel on the
23 > HD. The problem I have is my BIOS does not recognize GPT partition
24
25 On what factual evidence do you base that statement?
26
27 > I think I'll have to format entire drive in MBR and start from scratch.
28 > How to format disk in MBR, current "fdisk" defaults to GPT.
29
30 fdisk doesn't default to anything AFAIR, it creates whatever type of
31 partition table you tell it to, depending on whether you press g or o.
35 Neil Bothwick
36
37 Home is where you hang your @.