From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] jpg support
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2008 15:00:43
1 On Saturday 08 November 2008 16:08:22 Michael P. Soulier wrote:
2 > On Sat, Nov 8, 2008 at 6:15 AM, Daniel Pielmeier
3 >
4 > <daniel.pielmeier@××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 > > So there are two possibilities. First there is no need for a jpg useflag
6 > > as it will work out of the box. Second the jpg support or needed
7 > > libraries if they are indeed needed are detected automagically which is
8 > > bad and a bug should be filed. But from a quick glance into the relevant
9 > > files I did not recognize such things.
10 > >
11 > > So I guess rebuilding the affected packages and trying again is the best
12 > > option.
13 >
14 > I tried rebuilding gqview and feh with no success. feh complains about
15 > no imlib support for jpegs so I rebuild imlib, which didn't help.
16 > Before going to bed I started a full world rebuild. I'll reboot after
17 > that to ensure I pick up new shared libraries and we'll see what
18 > happens. This violates the principle of least surprise though.
19
20 You are going about this the wrong way. Gentoo can't really make a package
21 more configurable than what it's author provides. feh has no option
22 to ./configure to explicitly enable jpeg support, thus there cannot be a USE
23 flag for it, as described earlier in the thread. If you need/want to know
24 what's going in with such things, emerge the package and look for the full
25 build log in /var/log/portage/. Examine it, it will tell you how the package
26 builds.
27
28 imlib is the same, no explicit switch for jpeg, so you have to rely on the
29 autodetect voodoo^Wmagic. it sucks, it shouldn't be that way but gentoo
30 didn't make it that way.
31
32 Why did you decide to rebuild world? That's a bit like a sledge hammer to kill
33 a flea....
34
35 You can't validly claim this violates least surprise. Even if your
36 expectations were correct and gentoo does violate them, it's not something
37 gentoo can fix, the problem is in the configure script.
38 >
39 > I am finding this about gentoo. On FreeBSD I could disable X11
40 > support, but it's on by default. I agree with that. On gentoo I have
41 > to explicitely enable jpg support?? Why the hell would I not want it?
42 > I find that needlessly difficult. The default should be the common
43 > case, not the uncommon one.
44
45 I'll bet your profile points to a server profile, not a desktop one. For the
46 server profile, the default is no X server and thus no jpeg. A quick search
47 shows me that all the desktop profiles enable jpeg by default - the expected
48 state for most users. You profile is dictated by what the /etc/make.profile
49 symlink points to.
50
51 I think you need to re-read the gentoo handbook, the full thing from beginning
52 to end. As you have made several mistakes thus far that show me you don't
53 know where or how to select the thing you want.
57 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com