From: "Michael P. Soulier" <msoulier@×××××××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] jpg support
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2008 14:08:24
1 On Sat, Nov 8, 2008 at 6:15 AM, Daniel Pielmeier
2 <daniel.pielmeier@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > So there are two possibilities. First there is no need for a jpg useflag
4 > as it will work out of the box. Second the jpg support or needed
5 > libraries if they are indeed needed are detected automagically which is
6 > bad and a bug should be filed. But from a quick glance into the relevant
7 > files I did not recognize such things.
8 >
9 > So I guess rebuilding the affected packages and trying again is the best
10 > option.
11
12 I tried rebuilding gqview and feh with no success. feh complains about
13 no imlib support for jpegs so I rebuild imlib, which didn't help.
14 Before going to bed I started a full world rebuild. I'll reboot after
15 that to ensure I pick up new shared libraries and we'll see what
16 happens. This violates the principle of least surprise though.
17
18 I am finding this about gentoo. On FreeBSD I could disable X11
19 support, but it's on by default. I agree with that. On gentoo I have
20 to explicitely enable jpg support?? Why the hell would I not want it?
21 I find that needlessly difficult. The default should be the common
22 case, not the uncommon one.
23
24 Mike
25 --
26 Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@×××××××××××××.ca>
27 "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a
28 touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
29 --Albert Einstein