From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: GCC 4.7 and LTO: it works
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2012 22:56:17
1 On 05/06/12 01:37, Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 4:39 PM, Nikos Chantziaras<realnc@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >>
4 >>> Did you use gold or the standard linker?
7 >> The standard one. I didn't actually think about the importance of this.
8 >> Does gold work better with LTO?
9 >
10 > I don't know much about it, but AFAIK gold is supposed to be several
11 > times faster at linking in general, and when using it in combination
12 > with gcc+LTO the compiler actually offloads some of the LTO processing
13 > to the linker which is supposed to be more efficient.
14
15 Sounds like it's worth trying, but one thing doesn't look good; Diego's
16 blog is full of articles about Gold breakage:
17
18 http://blog.flameeyes.eu/tag/gold