From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: GCC 4.7 and LTO: it works
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2012 22:40:37
1 On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 4:39 PM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 >> Did you use gold or the standard linker?
6 > The standard one.  I didn't actually think about the importance of this.
7 >  Does gold work better with LTO?
8
9 I don't know much about it, but AFAIK gold is supposed to be several
10 times faster at linking in general, and when using it in combination
11 with gcc+LTO the compiler actually offloads some of the LTO processing
12 to the linker which is supposed to be more efficient.
13
14 I've never tried it personally, but I just googled and found this
15 mentioned on the GCC site:
16
17 "As an added feature, LTO will take advantage of the plugin feature in
18 gold. This allows the compiler to pick up object files that may have
19 been stored in library archives. To use this feature, you must be
20 using gold as the linker and enable the use of the plugin by compiling
21 with gcc -fuse-linker-plugin. This will shift the responsibility of
22 driving the final stages of compilation from collect2 to gold via the
23 linker plugin."
24
25 And in gentoo you can switch to gold as explained on the wiki:
26 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gold